Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Lulu - pregnant pet shop rescue pig


I had avoided going into our local pet shop over the last week after my impulse purchase of Lotus last wednesday... but curiosity got the better of me today, and I had to have a peek and see if they still had pigs. The first ones I noticed were some stunning long haired boys. Then I spotted a lonely little girl in the other cage. When the assistant lifted her out, I knew it was the same girl who'd been there last week - and I'd thought she was pregnant then too.

A quick belly check and I confirmed my suspicions - she was maybe 5-6week pregnant, and only about 10-12 weeks old at most. I decided it was one of those moments when I'd been given a second chance to help out, and to walk away again would have been wrong. So we scooped her up and brought her home.


I've called her Lulu, and she's a dark blue/grey (not quite black) and cream classic smooth coat. She is riddled with lice and has a nasty fungal infection on her ear that goes right into the canal. She's quite a timid little thing, and really protested at being fungal washed and treated. But I had to weigh up the risk of not treating her before she gives birth, versus the risk of the stress of the bath. Hopefully I made the right choice.



She will be in quarantine for quite a while I'd say, but once she's looking healthier and her babies are born/weaned, she will need a new permanent home herself. Feel free to let me know (eleb2000@hotmail.com) if you're interesting in offering this little lady a place to call her own.


1 comment: