Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Yeti the alpaca




Yeti's original owner and I weren't really sure what to expect from her fur (mum is a jett-black texel called Whoppie, and Dad is a gorgeous big Peruvian). She definitely started out curly, but the extent of her crazy hair has really surprised me. This little lady would give some pedigree's a run for their money!



I know that genetically 'alpaca' guinea pigs are the result of crossing the curl from a texel with the rosettes of a Peruvian, so it really makes sense that she would physically look like the alpaca breed.



It seems really strange to me that Yeti is tecnically the same genetic cross breed as Sheba and Liam's last litter - yet the two pairings produced such different looking animals! I think that's what I love about working with mixing and matching pigs - you never really do know what you're going to get!



Yeti is just over 3 months old now, and considering her tender age - has grown some amazing hair. It is unbelievably thick too. Great for winter - not so good for a Brisbane Summer though... she may have to come and live inside in the aircon in a few months time!

2 comments:

  1. And can you trim it and use it for felting? Do they have hair that grows back? I would be out there with the scissors I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, only a bearmaker would think like that! but yes, you definitely could trim it and spin/felt it. the texture is very much like kid mohair actually

    ReplyDelete